Featured Post

the blue book is now available on amazon

Exciting news!   The Blue Book is now available on Amazon! And not only that, but it also has a bunch of new content!  I've been work...

Friday, April 24, 2015

the dance, friday

Friday, April 24

Opening Prayer: O Shepherd God, companion me on all the journeys of my life.  Dance through the darkness with me. (The Song of the Seed by Macrina Wiederkehr)

Scripture: Psalm 23

Journal: How are prayer and dance similar?  How is prayer like dance?  How is dance like prayer?  What dance does Psalm 23 call you to today?  A dance of trust?  A dance of contentment?  A dance of peace?  How does Psalm 23 draw you to pray today?

Reflection:
 
     And so began the stretch of some months of rising early and doing the things that it took to help get young children to day care and preschool and so forth, and then over to the church to spend time in the sanctuary alone with the little blue book: reading from the saints and the scriptures, reciting the psalms, whispering the prayers, and scribbling in my journal.  After a while, I would go upstairs to write until it was time to go and pick up the children and head off home.
     Somewhere in that spring an ancient rhythm began to resonate within me, calling me, drawing me, compelling me to join in the general Dance. 
     I seemed then, and still seem, to have no control over my heart’s response to that rhythm.  Like the way one’s feet start tapping when someone plays a country tune, one simply cannot stop even if one tries.  My advice is that if you do not want to tap your feet, stay away from the jukebox.  If you do not want to pray, then do not go near prayer books.  Once your heart has heard the music, it is happy only when it is dancing. (Living Prayer by Robert Benson)

Prayers

Closing Prayer: Lord you are my Lover, it is you whom I desire.  You flow through my body like a stream, you shine on my face like the sun.  Let me be your reflection. ~St. Mechthildis

No comments:

Post a Comment