Featured Post

the blue book is now available on amazon

Exciting news!   The Blue Book is now available on Amazon! And not only that, but it also has a bunch of new content!  I've been work...

Sunday, May 18, 2014

devotion, sunday

Sunday, May 18 (Fifth Sunday of Easter)

Come to Stillness: Take a few minutes to allow your mind and heart to be still before God.

Opening Prayer: Late have I loved you, O Beauty, so ancient and so new, late have I loved you!  And behold, you were within me and I was outside, and there I sought for you, and in my deformity I rushed headlong into the well-formed things that you have made.  You were with me, and I was not with you.
                                                                                             
                                                                                                ~St. Augustine

Scripture Reading for the Day: Colossians 2:1-7

Reading for Reflection:

Philosopher William James said: "In some people religion exists as a dull habit, in others as an acute fever."  Jesus did not endure the shame of the cross to hand on a dull habit.  If you don't have the fever, dear reader, a passion for God and His Christ, drop to your knees, and beg for it; turn to the God you half-believe in and cry out for His baptism of fire. (The Signature of Jesus by Brennan Manning)

Reflection and Listening: silent and written

Prayer: for the church, for others, for myself
                                         
Closing Prayer: My Lord God, I have no idea where I am going.  I do not see the road ahead of me.  I cannot know for certain where it will end.  Nor do I really know myself, and the fact that I think that I am following your will does not mean that I am actually doing so.  But I believe that the desire to please you does in fact please you.  And I hope I have that desire in all that I am doing.  I hope that I will never do anything apart from that desire.  And I know that if I do this you will lead me by the right road though I may know nothing about it.  Therefore will I trust you always though I may seem lost and in the shadow of death.  I will not fear, for you are ever with me, and you will never leave me to face my perils alone. (Thoughts in Solitude by Thomas Merton)

No comments:

Post a Comment