Featured Post

the blue book is now available on amazon

Exciting news!   The Blue Book is now available on Amazon! And not only that, but it also has a bunch of new content!  I've been work...

Sunday, August 9, 2015

compassion, sunday

Sunday, August 9

Opening Prayer: Loving Father, teach me to love and care for those that need you today.  Those who are passed over and do not feel love unless I love them for you.  May Christ's love for others be felt through me today.  In your name and by your power I pray these things.  Amen. (Disciplines for the Inner Life by Bob Benson)

Scripture: Matthew 9:35-38

Journal: What goes on in your heart when you see people in great need?  What went on in the heart of Jesus?  How do we cultivate a heart of compassion for others?

Reflection:
 
     If someone asked you if you were compassionate, you might readily say yes.  Or at least, “I believe so.”  But pause to examine the word compassion and answering gets more complicated.  For the word comes from roots that mean literally to “suffer with”; to show compassion means sharing in the suffering “passion” of another.  Compassion understood in this way asks more from us than a mere stirring of pity or a sympathetic word.
     To live with compassion means to enter others’ dark moments.  It is to walk into places of pain, not to flinch or look away when another agonizes.  It means to stay where people suffer.  Compassion holds us back from quick, eager explanations when tragedy meets someone we know or love. (Turn My Mourning Into Dancing by Henri J. M. Nouwen)

Prayers

Closing Prayer: Our Father, here I am, at your disposal, your child, to use me to continue your loving the world, by giving Jesus to me and through me, to each other and the world.  Let us pray for each other as we allow Jesus to love in us and through us with the love with which His Father loves him. (Seeking the Heart of God by Mother Teresa)

No comments:

Post a Comment