Featured Post

the blue book is now available on amazon

Exciting news!   The Blue Book is now available on Amazon! And not only that, but it also has a bunch of new content!  I've been work...

Wednesday, August 5, 2015

calling, wednesday

Wednesday, August 5

Opening Prayer: Christ with me, Christ before me, Christ behind me, Christ in me, Christ beneath me, Christ above me, Christ on my right, Christ on my left, Christ where I lie, Christ where I sit, Christ where I arise, Christ in the heart of everyone who thinks of me, Christ in the mouth of every one who speaks to me, Christ in every eye that sees me, Christ in every ear that hears me.  Salvation is of the Lord.  Salvation is of the Christ.  May your salvation, Lord, be ever with us.  ~St. Patrick

Scripture: Luke 5:27-32

Journal: If you were Levi, what would make you want to follow Jesus?  What made you want to follow Jesus?  How has that calling impacted your life?

Reflection:
 
     I am always amazed when I read the story of Matthew, the wealthy tax collector—a man who had it made.  Sure, Matthew was hated and feared by many, but he had it all—power, great wealth, and the support of the state.  Jesus walked by and casually said to Matthew, "Follow me."  Ridiculous.  Who in Matthew's position would respond to some vagabond?  But Matthew does exactly that!  He immediately left his wealth and power and followed Jesus.  What happened?  I'll tell you what happened.  Matthew was called.  Every bone in his body, every part of his being stood on tiptoe when the Master spoke those words.  "Follow me!"  Matthew's ears tingled with excitement, his heart thundered with anticipation, his mind was filled with electricity.  He had been called.  He didn't know it until that moment, but he had been waiting all his life to hear those words.
     May God capture our unspoken dreams.  May Jesus speak those words that make our soul stand on tiptoe.  May each of us find our calling in Jesus. (from The Back Door out of The Door, March/April, 1994...by Mike Yaconelli)

Prayers

Closing Prayer: Living one day at a time; enjoying one moment at a time; accepting hardships as the pathway to peace; taking, as He did, this sinful world as it is, not as I would have it; trusting that He will make all things right if I surrender to His Will; that I may be reasonably happy in this life and supremely happy with Him forever in the next.  Amen. ~Reinhold Niebuhr

No comments:

Post a Comment