Featured Post

the blue book is now available on amazon

Exciting news!   The Blue Book is now available on Amazon! And not only that, but it also has a bunch of new content!  I've been work...

Sunday, May 3, 2015

solitude, sunday

Sunday, May 3

Opening Prayer: God, of thy goodness, give me Thyself; for Thou art enough for me, and I can ask for nothing less that can be full honor to Thee.  And if I ask anything that is less, ever shall I be in want, for only in Thee have I all. ~Julian of Norwich 

Scripture: Luke 5:12-16

Journal: What is the current balance in your life between solitude and ministry?  What happens if it is all ministry and no solitude?  What happens if it is all solitude and no ministry?  What does the life rhythm of Jesus have to teach us?

Reflection:
 
     Christian ministry is a ministry of the whole person.  It is an expression of the life of Christ, a life that at every point must confront the world as it is—not critically, but with the awareness that it is in the world, with all its complexity, that God chooses to reveal himself.  In solitude we await God.  We await him as he reveals himself in the deep silence of our lives and in the dreams and ongoing reflections that constitute our life experience.  We await him as he reveals himself in the presence of another human being, for this, too, is an experience of solitude.  Ministry, as has been said before, is not born in activity, but in solitude.  It is the natural expression of our ongoing life with the risen Lord.  Christian ministry has meaning to the degree that it reflects both the spirit and the substance of Christ’s ministry to the world. ~James C. Fenhagen

Prayers

Closing Prayer: Lord, I do not know what to ask you; only you know what I need.  I simply present myself to you; I open my heart to you.  I have no other desire than to accomplish your will.  Teach me to pray. (Little Book of Prayers by Francois Fenelon)

No comments:

Post a Comment