Featured Post

the blue book is now available on amazon

Exciting news!   The Blue Book is now available on Amazon! And not only that, but it also has a bunch of new content!  I've been work...

Saturday, May 2, 2015

direction, saturday

Saturday, May 2

Opening Prayer: Give ear to my words, O Lord; consider my groaning.  Give attention to the sound of my cry, my King and my God, for to you I pray.  O Lord, in the morning you hear my voice; in the morning I prepare a sacrifice for you, and watch. (Psalm 5:1-3)

Scripture: Proverbs 4:20-27

Journal: What words of God do you need to be attentive to today?  How will you incline your ear to hear him?

Reflection:
 
A common saying is, "God helps those who help themselves." I think the phrase can be understood wisely; but in most spiritual situations it is not completely true. Scripture clearly says, in many ways, that God helps those who trust in God, not those who help themselves......It takes applying the brakes, letting go of our own plans, allowing Another, and experiencing power from a Larger Source to really move to higher awareness. Otherwise, there is no real transformation, but only increased willpower. As if the one with the most willpower wins! Willfulness is quite different than willingness. (Daily Meditations by Richard Rohr)

Prayers

Closing Prayer:
I believe in all that has never yet been spoken.
I want to free what waits within me
so that what no one has dared to wish for

may for once spring clear
without my contriving.

If this is arrogant, God, forgive me,
but this is what I need to say.
May what I do flow from me like a river,
no forcing and no holding back,
the way it is with children.

Then in these swelling and ebbing currents,
these deepening tides moving out, returning,
I will sing you as no one ever has,

streaming through widening channels
into the open sea.

(The Book of Hours by Rainer Maria Rilke)

No comments:

Post a Comment