Featured Post

the blue book is now available on amazon

Exciting news!   The Blue Book is now available on Amazon! And not only that, but it also has a bunch of new content!  I've been work...

Wednesday, May 20, 2015

sent, wednesday

Wednesday, May 20

Opening Prayer: Lord, deliver me from the small loyalties of habit or tradition that would keep me from larger loyalties of the spirit.  Let me so incline myself to you that your presence in my life determines both what I think and what I do.  Through Jesus, who understood the deeper meaning of freedom.  Amen. (A Devotional Guide to the Gospels by John Killinger)

Scripture: Acts 1:6-11

Journal: What is the relationship between being empowered and being sent?  Shouldn’t the two of these always go hand-in-hand?  What is your sense of being empowered by God to do his work?  What does this look like?

Reflection:
 
     Transformation and intimacy both cry out for ministry.  We are led through the furnace of God's purity not just for our own sake but also for the sake of others.  We are drawn up into the bosom of God's love not merely to experience acceptance but also so we can give His love to others.
     The world writhes under the pain of its arrogance and self-sufficiency.  We can make a difference, if we will.
     In earlier days, we tried to serve out of our spiritual bankruptcy, and we failed.  We now know that ministry must flow out of abundance. 
     Bernard of Clairvaux writes, "If then you are wise, you will show yourself rather as a reservoir than a canal.  For a canal spreads abroad water as it receives it, but a reservoir waits until it is filled before overflowing, and thus communicates, without loss to itself, its superabundant water.  In the Church at the present day, we have many canals, few reservoirs."  We have determined to be reservoirs. (Prayer by Richard J. Foster)

Prayers

Closing Prayer: Father, I abandon myself into your hands; do with me what you will.  Whatever you may do, I thank you: I am ready for all, I accept all.  Let only your will be done in me, and in all your creatures.  I wish no more than this, O Lord.
     Into your hands I commend my soul; I offer it to you with all the love of my heart,
for I love you, Lord, and so need to give myself, to surrender myself into your hands,
without reserve, and with boundless confidence, for you are my Father. ~Charles de Foucald

No comments:

Post a Comment