Featured Post

the blue book is now available on amazon

Exciting news!   The Blue Book is now available on Amazon! And not only that, but it also has a bunch of new content!  I've been work...

Saturday, March 8, 2014

our need for God, Saturday

Saturday, March 8

Come to Stillness: Take a few minutes to allow your mind and heart to be still before God.

Opening Prayer: Gracious God, today begins a period of inner reflection and examination. The days stretch before me and invite me inward to that silent, holy space that holds your Spirit. This special time beckons me to see my life through Christ's eyes and the truth and reality of your love incarnate. Give me the grace to enter the space of these days with anticipation of our meeting. And, when I open my soul to your presence, let your loving kindness flow over me and seep into the pockets of my heart. I ask this for the sake of your love.

Scripture Reading for the Day: Psalm 51:1-19

Reading for Reflection:

     The man of broken spirit is one who has been emptied of all vain-glorious confidence, and brought to acknowledge that he is nothing.  The contrite heart abjures [gives up] the idea of merit, and has no dealings with God upon the principle of exchange.  Where the spirit has been broken (Psalm 51:17) and the heart has become contrite, through a felt sense of the [holiness] of the Lord, a man is brought to genuine fear and self-loathing, with a deep conviction that of himself he can do or deserve nothing, and must be indebted unconditionally for salvation to Divine mercy. (Heart Aflame by John Calvin)

Reflection and Listening: silent and written

Prayer: for the church, for others, for myself

Closing Prayer: Almighty God, have mercy upon us, forgive us all our sins and deliver us from all evil; confirm and strengthen us in all goodness, and bring us to life everlasting through Jesus Christ our Lord.  Amen. (The Little Book of Hours)

No comments:

Post a Comment