Featured Post

the blue book is now available on amazon

Exciting news!   The Blue Book is now available on Amazon! And not only that, but it also has a bunch of new content!  I've been work...

Sunday, March 30, 2014

broken, sunday

Sunday, March 30 (Fourth Sunday of Lent)

Come to Stillness: Take a few minutes to allow your mind and heart to be still before God.

Opening Prayer: O persistent God, deliver me from assuming your mercy is gentle.  Pressure me that I may grow more human, not through the lessening of my struggles, but through the expansion of them…Deepen my hurt until I learn to share it and myself openly, and my needs honestly.  Sharpen my fears until I name them and release the power I have locked in them and they in me.  Accentuate my confusion until I shed those grandiose expectations that divert me from the small, glad gifts of the now and the here and the me.  Expose my shame where it shivers, crouched behind the curtains of propriety, until I can laugh at last through my common frailties and failures, laugh my way toward becoming whole. (Guerrillas of Grace by Ted Loder)

Daily Scripture Reading: Isaiah 53:1-12

Reading for Reflection:

     Jesus was broken at the cross.  He lived his suffering and death not as an evil to avoid at all costs but as a mission to embrace.  We too are broken.  We live with broken bodies, broken hearts, broken minds, or broken spirits.  We suffer from broken relationships.
     How can we live our brokenness?  Jesus invites us to embrace our brokenness as he embraced the cross and live it as part of our mission.  He asks us not to reject our brokenness as a curse from God that reminds us of our sinfulness but to accept it and put it under God’s blessing for our purification and sanctification.  Thus, our brokenness can become a gateway to new life. (Bread for the Journey by Henri Nouwen)

Reflection and Listening: silent and written

Prayer: for the church, for others, for myself
Closing Prayer: Now, O Lord, calm me into a quietness that heals and listens, and molds my longings and passions, my wounds and wonderings into a more holy and human shape. (Guerrillas of Grace by Ted Loder)

No comments:

Post a Comment