Featured Post

the blue book is now available on amazon

Exciting news!   The Blue Book is now available on Amazon! And not only that, but it also has a bunch of new content!  I've been work...

Monday, March 3, 2014

our need for God, Monday

Monday, March 3

Come to Stillness: Take a few minutes to allow your mind and heart to be still before God.

 Opening Prayer:  Gracious God, today begins a period of inner reflection and examination. The days stretch before me and invite me inward to that silent, holy space that holds your Spirit. This special time beckons me to see my life through Christ's eyes and the truth and reality of your love incarnate. Give me the grace to enter the space of these days with anticipation of our meeting. And, when I open my soul to your presence, let your loving kindness flow over me and seep into the pockets of my heart. I ask this for the sake of your love.

Scripture Reading for the Day: Isaiah 58:1-14

Reading for Reflection:

     There are few things more beautiful than a well-watered garden.  They are so vibrant, so fragrant, and so full of life.  There is nothing as sad, on the other hand, as a sun-scorched land—dead, brown, and lifeless.  Needless to say, watering seems to be a pretty important part of the equation.  But what does that look like?

     In this passage, Isaiah tells us that there is a certain fruitfulness that comes about in our souls when we have direct encounters with those in great need.  Somehow, when we give ourselves completely to God and to his work, it produces a type of spring within us whose waters do not fail.  In some mysterious way, when we pour ourselves out on behalf of the poor, the broken, the naked, the lost, the hungry, and the oppressed, something happens in our hearts and souls that releases a flow of life, health, healing, and wholeness.  We become like a well-watered garden—His well-watered garden.

 
Reflection and Listening: silent and written

Prayer: for the church, for others, for myself


Closing Prayer: Lord God, help me to be fully committed to the type of fasting that pleases you the most, so that I might be a well-watered garden of your delight.  In the name of Jesus I pray.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment