Featured Post

the blue book is now available on amazon

Exciting news!   The Blue Book is now available on Amazon! And not only that, but it also has a bunch of new content!  I've been work...

Wednesday, October 24, 2018

nothing

Opening Prayer:  Lord Jesus, help me to always remember that I am absolutely nothing apart from you, but more than I could ever ask or imagine when I abide in you.  Help me to do that this day.  Amen.

Scripture: John 15:5

Journal: What is your sense of your own nothingness today?  When and how are you trying to be something apart from Jesus?  How will you abide in him this day?

Reflection: Morning by morning and day by day and hour by hour and step by step, in every work, I have to abide before him in the simple and utter helplessness of one who knows nothing, and is nothing, and can do nothing.  Oh, beloved workers, study that word nothing.  You sometimes sing: “Oh, to be nothing, nothing”: but have you really studied that word and prayed every day, and worshiped God, in the light of it?  Do you know the blessedness of that word nothing?
     If I am something, then God is not everything: but when I become nothing, God can become all, and the everlasting God in Christ can reveal himself fully.  That is the higher life.  We need to become nothing.  Someone has well said that the seraphim and cherubim are flames of fire because they know they are nothing, and they allow God to put his fullness and his glory and brightness into them.  Oh, become nothing in deep reality, and, as worker, study only one thing—to become poorer and lower and more helpless, that Christ may work all in you.
     Workers, here is your first lesson: learn to be nothing, learn to be helpless.  The man who has got something is not absolutely dependent; but the man who has got nothing is absolutely dependent.  Absolute dependence upon God is the secret of all power in work.  The branch has nothing but what it gets from the vine, and you and I can have nothing but what we get from Jesus. (Absolute Dependence by Andrew Murray)

Prayer

Closing Prayer: Forgive me, Lord Jesus, for trying to make myself something, when the truth is that apart from you I am nothing.  My biggest problems in life typically come when I try to avoid that nothingness, rather than embracing it.  Help me to learn what it really means to abide in you.  Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment