Featured Post

the blue book is now available on amazon

Exciting news!   The Blue Book is now available on Amazon! And not only that, but it also has a bunch of new content!  I've been work...

Sunday, September 16, 2018

detachment

Opening Prayer: To you alone, O Lord, do I lift up my soul; in you I trust, O my God. (Psalm 25:1-2)

Scripture: Psalm 62:1-8

Journal: What are you demanding from friends or family that only God is able to give?  What would it look like if you let go of that demand and trusted God to be the one to fully meet that need for you?  How would you be better able to love?

Reflection: Because we have been clinging to friends for support, we have left ourselves open for defeat and dismay.  The detached love of Christian friends is other than that.  I love you, I say, but I do not need you to tell me who I am.  For the Lord Himself does that, when He whispers His love in my ear every day.  Every day He creates me anew and sharpens my identity by grace.  From him comes strength.  He gives me my confidence, my self-assurance.  He awakens my sense of destiny.  Because of Him, I know the future stretches ahead, and he is calling me to find it.  And even when I walk together with Him, even when I can’t see my hand in front of me, I am sure.  And you, my friend, may walk together with us—with my Lord and with me.  And we will share our love generously with you.  But I will not lean on any human being for God-support.  When God sends his grace through another person, I will remember God first for that.  I will praise God first for that.  I will cherish the friend who was my channel of grace.  But I will not, dare not, make a god of her or him.  I will not lean too hard on my friends.  I know their frailties and I know my own.   (Clinging by Emilie Griffin) 

Prayer

Closing Prayer: For God alone, O my soul, wait in silence, for my hope comes from him.  He only is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be greatly shaken.  (Psalm 62:5-6, ESV)

No comments:

Post a Comment