Featured Post

the blue book is now available on amazon

Exciting news!   The Blue Book is now available on Amazon! And not only that, but it also has a bunch of new content!  I've been work...

Thursday, September 13, 2018

continuing on

Opening Prayer: Help me, O Lord, to always live life by the power of your Spirit, not by the works of my flesh.  Amen.

Scripture: Galatians 3:1-3

Journal: How are you “continuing on” in the life of the Spirit these days?  Where and how are you tempted to revert back to the ways of the “flesh?”

Reflection: I hardly know a more solemn warning in God’s Word than that which we find in the third chapter of Galatians, where Paul asked: “Having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh?”
     Do you understand what that means?  A terrible danger in Christian work, just as in a Christian life that begun with much prayer, begun in the Holy Spirit, is that it may be gradually shunted off on to the lines of the flesh; and the word comes: “Having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh?”  In the time of our first perplexity and helplessness, we prayed much to God, and God answered and God blessed, and our organization became perfected, and our band of workers became large: but gradually the organization and the work and the rush have so taken possession of us that the power of the Spirit, in which we began when we were a small company, has almost been lost.  Oh, I pray, note it well!  It was with a new prayer and fasting, with more prayer and fasting, that the company of disciples (in Acts 13:1-4) carried out the command of the Holy Ghost.  “My soul, wait thou only upon God.”  That is our highest and most important work.  The Holy Spirit comes in answer to believing prayer. (Absolute Surrender and Other Addresses by Andrew Murray)

Prayer

Closing Prayer: Breathe in me, O Holy Spirit, that my thoughts may all be holy. Act in me, O Holy Spirit, that my work, too, may be holy.  Draw my heart, O Holy Spirit, that I love but what is holy.   Strengthen me, O Holy Spirit, to defend all that is holy.   Guard me, then, O Holy Spirit, that I always may be holy.  Amen. —St. Augustine


No comments:

Post a Comment