Featured Post

the blue book is now available on amazon

Exciting news!   The Blue Book is now available on Amazon! And not only that, but it also has a bunch of new content!  I've been work...

Sunday, June 5, 2016

they are yours

Opening Prayer: Lord Jesus, thank you for praying for us.  Thank you for carrying us in your heart.  Thank you for loving us enough to intercede on our behalf.  Thank you that we are yours.  Amen.

Scripture: John 17:1-11

Journal: What most captures your heart today from this prayer of Jesus?  Why?  How does the phrase “They are yours” strike you?  What does it do within you?  Why? 

Reflection: At times I have a tendency to operate as if everything were up to me.  To be quite honest, it is a frightening way of living life, and can easily leave me overwhelmed and worn out.  But the prayer of Jesus today, in John 17, reminds me that all is not, in fact, up to me.  God is the one to whom all things and all people ultimately belong.  He is in control, and therefore I do not have to be.  Thus, when I begin to treat the people around me as if they were totally my responsibility, or as if they were somehow my possession to manipulate affirmation or significance out of, then I have taken a terribly wrong turn.  They belong to God, not to me, and I must always treat them as such.  When I do that, there is freedom.  Freedom to let God be God.  Freedom to let me be myself.  And freedom to love instead of manipulate.

Prayer

Closing Prayer: Lord Jesus, help us to fully trust you with our lives and the lives of all those around us that are dear to us.  They are yours, and we are glad.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment