Featured Post

the blue book is now available on amazon

Exciting news!   The Blue Book is now available on Amazon! And not only that, but it also has a bunch of new content!  I've been work...

Friday, June 10, 2016

listening

Opening Prayer: Lord Jesus, help us to listen to you this day, for listening to you brings life to our souls, and direction to our feet.  Please remind us that listening to you should always come before speaking for you.  Amen.

Scripture:  John 12:49-50

Journal: How often do you speak of your own accord, rather than listening first to the voice of God?  What would it look like if you listened before you spoke?

Reflection: The more faithfully you listen to the voice within you, the better you will hear what is sounding outside.  And only he who listens can speak. (Markings by Dag Hammarskjold)

Why is it so difficult to be still and quiet and let God speak to me about the meaning of my life?  Is it because I don’t trust God?  Is it because I don’t know God?  Is it because I wonder if God really is there for me?  Is it because I’m afraid of God?  Is it because everything else is more real for me than God?  Is it because, deep down, I do not believe that God cares what happens to me?
     Still there is a voice.  The question is, can I trust that voice and follow it?  It is not a very loud voice, and often it is drowned out by the clamor around us.  Still, when I listen attentively, I will hear that voice again and again and come to recognize it as the voice speaking to the deepest places of my heart.  (Here and Now by Henri Nouwen) 

Prayer

Closing Prayer: Speak Lord, for your servant is listening.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment