Featured Post

the blue book is now available on amazon

Exciting news!   The Blue Book is now available on Amazon! And not only that, but it also has a bunch of new content!  I've been work...

Saturday, June 4, 2016

as i have loved you

Opening Prayer: Lord Jesus, teach us to love like you love.  And help us to know that the way we do that is to pay careful attention to the way you have loved us.  O how you love us!  Thank you.  Amen.

Scripture: John 13:34-35

Journal: What arises within you when you first read these verses?  Why?  What is the first thing that God wishes would rise within you?  How has God loved you lately?  What does that have to do with these verses?

Reflection: I don't know about you, but most often, when I read these verses, the first thing that arises are a list of oughts and shoulds that primarily focus on how poorly I love.  But today was different.  Today God gave me a sweet invitation.  Today God said, "Stop focusing on yourself and instead focus on me.  After all, the sentence begins, 'As I have loved you.'  Why not focus on my love, and how I have loved you?  I have loved you fully.  I have loved you completely.  I have loved you unconditionally.  I have pursued you.  I have embraced you.  I have romanced you.  I have drawn near to you.  I have whispered my affections in your ear.  I have listened to you.  I have guided you.  I have protected you.  I have provided for you.  I have been present to you.  I have comforted you.  I have even given my life for you.  Let my love overwhelm and overcome you.  Let my love completely capture you.  Then all of the rest will take care of its self." 

Prayer

Closing Prayer: Lord Jesus, help me to love like you love.   I am far too selective about the who and the how of my love, often thinking that I actually have a choice about who I will love and how I will love them.  Your love for me does not give me that option.  You call me to love like you love—unconditionally, extravagantly, and indiscriminately.  Help me, this day, to love those that I have a hard time loving.  And I know that I can’t possibly do that on my own, I’m going to need your help.  Lord, have mercy.  Help me to love as you love.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment