Featured Post

the blue book is now available on amazon

Exciting news!   The Blue Book is now available on Amazon! And not only that, but it also has a bunch of new content!  I've been work...

Sunday, January 24, 2016

free, sunday

Sunday, January 24

Opening Prayer: Father, my life, in so many ways and at so many places, seems shackled and bound.  Help me to find freedom and liberty in you this day. (Disciplines for the Inner Life by Bob Benson and Michael W. Benson)

Scripture: John 8:31-32

Journal: Are you free?  Why or why not?  What most often keeps you from experiencing freedom in your life? How do these verses on John speak to that?  How can the truth set you free today?

Reflection:
 
     Years ago, I was sitting with two high school friends at a local restaurant talking about life and faith and how we can live more authentically and intimately with Jesus.  We were looking at these verses in John 8, about truth and freedom, when one of the guys had a bit of an epiphany.  He looked up from his bible, turned to us, and said, “So what you are telling me is that if I am not free it is because I’m believing something that’s not true?”  And we all stopped for a minute, reflecting on what he had just said. 
     “That’s exactly what I’m saying,” I responded.  “As a matter of fact I couldn’t have said it any better myself.”  Somehow in his own beautifully simple way, he had taken a profound theological truth and made it incredibly practical.  So much so that I still remember it to this day.  In fact, whenever I am feeling particularly tied up or bound by something that I can’t quite put my finger on I will ask myself, “Since I am not feeling free at this moment, what am I believing that is not true?”  Because the truth always sets us free. (Being with Jesus by Jim Branch)

Prayer

Closing Prayer: Lord Jesus, help us to really believe the truth, about who you are and about who we are in you, and let that truth set us free.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment