Featured Post

the blue book is now available on amazon

Exciting news!   The Blue Book is now available on Amazon! And not only that, but it also has a bunch of new content!  I've been work...

Saturday, November 1, 2014

suffering, saturday

Saturday, November 1

Come to Stillness: Take a few minutes to allow your mind and heart to be still before God.
          
Opening Prayer: Father, I know my wounded and broken places oh so well.  At times they can consume me and keep me from being able to hear your voice.  Help me to see my pain as an invitation to know you more intimately rather than a reason to doubt the goodness of your heart.  Help me to know that through my pain you desire to accomplish something very good in me.  In the name of Jesus.  Amen.

Scripture Reading for the Day: Isaiah 61:1-3

Reading for Reflection:

“I walked a mile with Pleasure;
She chatted all the way;
But left me none the wiser
For all she had to say.

I walked a mile with Sorrow;
And ne’er a word said she;
But, oh! The things I learned from her,
When Sorrow walked with me.”

                                    ~Robert Browning Hamilton

Reflection and Listening: silent and written

Prayer: for the church, for others, for myself
                                 
Closing Prayer: Mysterious and Triune God, I create images of you in my mind, but my vision of you is blurred by my perception of myself.  I have a heart tainted with selfishness so I see you through the lens of what I want you to be and not the lens of who you really are.  Unclutter my faith.  Give me a broader, truer understanding of who you are, even if it will be more frightening and more comforting than I can stand. (A Heart Exposed by Steven James)

No comments:

Post a Comment