Featured Post

the blue book is now available on amazon

Exciting news!   The Blue Book is now available on Amazon! And not only that, but it also has a bunch of new content!  I've been work...

Sunday, November 2, 2014

faith, sunday

Sunday, November 2

Come to Stillness: Take a few minutes to allow your mind and heart to be still before God.
         
Opening Prayer: O Lord, help me to really believe.  Help me to really believe that your heart for me is good.  Help me to really believe that nothing can separate me from your love.  Help me to really believe that you will do what you say you will do.  Help me to take you at your word.  In the name of Jesus.  Amen.

Scripture Reading for the Day: John 4:43-54

Reading for Reflection:
 
     What does the word faith mean?  Through the centuries many have tried to define it.  The writer of the book of Hebrews said it is “being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see” (Hebrews 11:1).  A. W. Tozer said that faith was “the gaze of the soul on a loving God” (The Pursuit of God).  Martin Luther called faith “the yes of the heart.”  And Frederick Buechner said that faith was “the direction your feet start moving when you find that you are loved.” 
     But maybe there is no better definition of the word faith than the one offered in the fourth chapter of John (verse 50).  It says the royal official “took Jesus at his word.”  What a great definition of faith.  Believing that what God has said is true.  Being convinced.  Convinced that he loves us the way he says he does.  Convinced that he is in control and can be trusted with our lives.  Convinced that he will truly care for us and those we love.  Convinced that his heart for us is good.  Convinced. 
     Is there a place in your life right now where you are having to walk by faith?  A place where you are having to believe that God’s heart for you is good even though you have a hard time seeing it in the circumstances?  What does it mean for you to “take Jesus at his word” right now?

Reflection and Listening: silent and written

Prayer: for the church, for others, for myself
                                 
Closing Prayer: Lord, I trust in you; let me never be disgraced.  Save me because you do what is right.  Listen to me and save me quickly.  Be my rock of protection, a strong city to save me.  You are my rock and my protection.  For the good of your name, lead me and guide me.  Set me free from the trap they set for me, because you are my protection.  I give you my life.  Save me, Lord, God of truth.  Amen. (Psalm 31:1-5 NCV)

No comments:

Post a Comment