Featured Post

the blue book is now available on amazon

Exciting news!   The Blue Book is now available on Amazon! And not only that, but it also has a bunch of new content!  I've been work...

Friday, May 3, 2019

what are you waiting for?

Opening Prayer: I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and in his word I put my hope. (Psalm 130:5, NIV) 

Scripture: Psalm 130:5

Journal: What are you really waiting for?  Are you waiting for the Lord, or are you waiting for an answer?  What if what you are waiting for is not what God chooses to give you?

Reflection: “I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and in his word I hope,” say the words of this ancient prayer.  But what does this really look like and how do we know if we are doing it or not?  We are so easily deceived.  
     It is easy to think we are waiting for the Lord, when we are actually waiting for something (or someone) else altogether.  We are waiting for him to do what we want or expect or demand.  We are watching for a sign or an epiphany or an answer.  In fact, we are often so consumed with how we think he should show up or what we think he should be doing that we often miss him altogether.  What if what we are waiting for is not what he chooses to give us?  What then?
     That’s why waiting for the Lord involves paying extra careful attention.  We never quite know how he will show up, or what he will say, or where he will choose to appear.  And because of that, he is easy to miss.  What a shame it would be if we were to wait and wait and wait for something that’s already given.
     So let’s wait on him—alone.  However and wherever and whenever he chooses to show up.  Let’s wait on him and not just on an answer.  For it is quite likely that he wants to give us far more than an answer, he wants to give us himself.  

Prayer

Closing Prayer: For God alone, O my soul, wait in silence, for my hope comes from him. (Psalm 62:5, ESV)

No comments:

Post a Comment