Featured Post

the blue book is now available on amazon

Exciting news!   The Blue Book is now available on Amazon! And not only that, but it also has a bunch of new content!  I've been work...

Friday, May 17, 2019

pride

Opening Prayer: My heart is not proud, O Lord, and my eyes are not haughty; I do not concern myself with great matters or things too wonderful for me.  But I have stilled and quieted my soul, like a weaned child with its mother, like a weaned child is my soul within me.  O Israel, put your hope in the Lord both now and forevermore.  Amen.

Scripture: Psalm 131:1-3

Journal: Where and how does pride manifest itself most in your life?  What is at the root of it?  How do you fight it?

Reflection: “My heart is not proud, O Lord, my eyes are not haughty,” say the words of the ancient prayer.  Which lets us know, in no uncertain terms, that pride is one of the biggest enemies of the spiritual life.  That’s because pride, when present within and among us, occupies a significant amount of our inner space.  Thus, when we are filled with pride, we are so full of ourselves that there is no room for God’s Spirit to move and to act.  Our eyes become so consumed with ourselves that we can’t really see him.  There is no way for our souls to be still and quiet like a weaned child with its mother because we are so busy trying to prove to ourselves and our world that we are worth loving.
     There are several words translated pride in the scriptures.  Here in Psalm 131:1, the word is gabahh.  It means to be high or exalted.  In the book of Proverbs, the word most often used is ga'own, which means elevation, arrogance, or exaltation.  And in the New Testament, the main word is hyperÄ“phanos (James 4:6), meaning showing oneself above others, or overestimating one’s importance.  It literally means to outshine others.  Wow, that sounds exhausting, doesn’t it?
     The truth is that pride is just fear in a clever disguise.  Fear is what lies beneath.  In fact, the older I get, the more I realize that underneath every episode of pride in our lives, there is just a frightened little boy or girl looking for approval and acceptance.

Prayer

Closing Prayer: My heart is not proud, O Lord…My heart is not proud, O Lord…My heart is not proud, O Lord…O Lord, help my heart to not be proud.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment