Featured Post

the blue book is now available on amazon

Exciting news!   The Blue Book is now available on Amazon! And not only that, but it also has a bunch of new content!  I've been work...

Monday, November 14, 2016

silence and solitude

Opening Prayer:
Uncrowd my heart, O God,
until silence speaks
in your still small voice;
turn me from the hearing of words,
and the making of words,
and the confusion of much speaking,
to listening,
waiting,
stillness,
silence.

                        ~Thomas Merton

Scripture: Mark 6:31

Journal: Where do solitude and silence fit in your spiritual practice?  What has been the fruit of them in your life thus far?  Why do you think God invites you into silence and solitude?  Why do you think we resist it?

Reflection: Solitude and silence are a beautiful invitation from God.  They are an invitation to stop, to cease striving, to rest, and to breathe.  They are an invitation to be renewed and restored.  In a world where we are constantly on the go, living in a constant exhale, solitude and silence provide an opportunity to inhale.  They allow the life-giving Spirit of God the space and the time to blow his fresh wind into our parched and weary souls. Thus, solitude and silence are essential for both our spiritual and our physical well-being.  They offer us an invitation to come to him, to release our burdens, and to enjoy his presence, his peace, and his rest.

Prayer

Closing Prayer: O God, my loving Father, let me rest in the silence and security of your strong and loving arms this day.  Help me to trust you completely—and to be occupied with nothing else but you.  Let me find my rest and my hope in you, both now and forevermore.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment