Featured Post

the blue book is now available on amazon

Exciting news!   The Blue Book is now available on Amazon! And not only that, but it also has a bunch of new content!  I've been work...

Tuesday, November 15, 2016

perceiving

Opening Prayer: Lord Jesus, help us never to be too busy, or too afraid, or too consumed with our circumstances to come and ask you for understanding; knowing that when we do, you will give it.  Help us, Lord Jesus, to perceive what you are up to in our lives and our world.  Amen.

Scripture: Luke 9:43-45

Journal: Where do you need to ask God for understanding?  How often do you ask him what he is up to, both within you and around you?

Reflection: Huh?  It was concealed from them, so that they might not perceive it?  Say what?  Why in the world would that be the case?  Why would God not want them to perceive what Jesus was saying to them?  Or maybe that’s not the issue at all.  Maybe what God really wants is for them to come and ask.  “You do not have, because you do not ask,” James tells us (James 4:2), specifically where understanding is concerned.  “If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given to him.” (James 1:5)  “Ask and you shall receive, seek and you shall find, knock and the door shall be opened to you,” Matthew tells us. (Matthew 7:7)  There seems to be something in the heart of God that loves being asked and being sought.  The disciples’ problem was that they did not ask, so they did not perceive what he was saying (or doing).  My problem is that even when I do ask, I typically ask for solutions, or for a change in circumstances, but I rarely come and ask for understanding.  I rarely come to him merely asking him to help me understand what he is up to, either within me or around me.  If I did, I have a suspicion that it would be a much different story.

Prayer

Closing Prayer: Hear, O Lord, when I cry aloud; be gracious to me and answer me!  You have said, “Seek my face.”  My heart says to you, “Your face, Lord, do I seek.”  Hide not your face from me. (Psalm 27:7-9)

No comments:

Post a Comment