Featured Post

the blue book is now available on amazon

Exciting news!   The Blue Book is now available on Amazon! And not only that, but it also has a bunch of new content!  I've been work...

Sunday, November 27, 2016

first sunday in advent

Opening Prayer: Keep us alert, we pray, O Lord our God, as we await the advent of Christ your Son, so that when he comes and knocks he may find us watchful in prayer and exultant in his praise.  Who lives and reigns with you in the unity of the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever.  Amen. (A Collect for Advent on Creighton University Online Ministries)

Scripture: Luke 21:34-36

Journal: How will you stay spiritually awake and attentive during this season of Advent?  How are you longing for Jesus to show up in your life during this season?

Reflection:  Today is the beginning of Advent, the time and the season when we watch and wait for the coming of our Savior Jesus.  And not only is it the time we need to watch for Christ, but also the time when we watch that our own hearts are not weighed down by things other than him.  The cares of this life can be a trap that distracts and consumes us, and diverts our attention away from the coming of the One who made us and loves us and delights in us.  Therefore, we must be on our guard and keep out spiritual wits about us.  We must stay awake at all times, so that when he does arrive, within and among us, we will not miss it.

Prayer

Closing Prayer: O Lord, my God, help me to live my life in you.  Wake me up minute-by-minute, day-by-day, to your presence within me and around me.  Wake me up to your love and to your care, to your voice and to your Spirit.  Help me to come all awake within, and when I finally do, help me to find myself in your loving arms.

No comments:

Post a Comment