Featured Post

the blue book is now available on amazon

Exciting news!   The Blue Book is now available on Amazon! And not only that, but it also has a bunch of new content!  I've been work...

Tuesday, December 2, 2014

attention, tuesday

Tuesday, December 2

Come to Stillness: Take a few minutes to allow your mind and heart to be still before God.
          
Opening Prayer: My God, since You are with me, and since it is Your will that I should apply my mind to these outward things, I pray that You will give me the grace to remain with You and keep company with You.  But so that my work may be better, Lord, work with me; receive my work and possess all my affections. (The Practice of the Presence of God by Brother Lawrence)

Scripture Reading for the Day: Ephesians 5:8-21

Reading for Reflection:
 
     At the beginning of her course the Church looks out towards Eternity, and realizes her own poverty and imperfection and her utter dependence on this perpetual coming of God.
     Advent is, of course, first of all a preparation for Christmas; which commemorates God’s saving entrance into history in the Incarnation of Jesus Christ.

          Whilst all things were in quiet silence and night 
     was in the midst of her swift course: thine Almighty
     Word leapt down from heaven out of thy royal throne. 
     Alleluia.

     A tremendous spiritual event then took place; something which disclosed the very nature of God and his relation to His universe.  But there was little to show for it on the surface of life.  All men saw was a poor girl unconditionally submitted to God’s Will, and a baby born in difficult circumstances.  And this contrast between the outward appearance and the inner reality is true of all the comings of God to us.  We must be very loving and very alert if we want to recognize them in their earthly disguise.  Again and again He comes and the revelation is not a bit what we expect. (The Fruits of the Spirit by Evelyn Underhill)

Reflection and Listening: silent and written

Prayer: for the church, for others, for myself
    
                     
Closing Prayer: O Lord, my God, help me to live my life in you.  Wake me up minute-by-minute, day-by-day, to your presence within me and around me.  Wake me up to your love and to your care, to your voice and to your Spirit.  Help me to come all awake within, and when I finally do, help me to find myself in your loving arms.

No comments:

Post a Comment