Featured Post

the blue book is now available on amazon

Exciting news!   The Blue Book is now available on Amazon! And not only that, but it also has a bunch of new content!  I've been work...

Saturday, December 6, 2014

attention, saturday

Saturday, December 6

Come to Stillness: Take a few minutes to allow your mind and heart to be still before God.
         
Opening Prayer: My God, since You are with me, and since it is Your will that I should apply my mind to these outward things, I pray that You will give me the grace to remain with You and keep company with You.  But so that my work may be better, Lord, work with me; receive my work and possess all my affections. (The Practice of the Presence of God by Brother Lawrence)
         
Scripture Reading for the Day: Proverbs 4:20-5:2

Reading for Reflection:
 
     Spiritual discernment asks us to pay attention.  We need to attend to both what goes on around us and within us.  Ideally, this attentiveness goes on much of the time, a sort of low level, constant spiritual sifting of the data of our experience.  But there are times when discernment becomes much more focused, when a crossroad is reached or a choice called for.  At times like these the cumulative wisdom of tradition tells us to pay attention on many levels: to consult scripture, to seek the advice of trusted advisors, to heed the sensus fidelium (the collective sense of the faithful), to read widely and deeply the best ancient and contemporary thinking, to pray, to attend to the prick of conscience and to the yearnings and dreamings of our hearts, to watch, to wait, to listen. (Passing Angels: The Arts of Spiritual Discernment by Wendy M. Wright from Weavings November/December 1995)

Reflection and Listening: silent and written

Prayer: for the church, for others, for myself
    
                      
Closing Prayer: Come!  Give us wisdom, give us light, deliver us, lead us, teach us how to live.  Save us.  Amen. (Advent with Evelyn Underhill)

No comments:

Post a Comment