Featured Post

the blue book is now available on amazon

Exciting news!   The Blue Book is now available on Amazon! And not only that, but it also has a bunch of new content!  I've been work...

Thursday, December 4, 2014

attention, thursday

Thursday, December 4

Come to Stillness: Take a few minutes to allow your mind and heart to be still before God.
          
Opening Prayer: My God, since You are with me, and since it is Your will that I should apply my mind to these outward things, I pray that You will give me the grace to remain with You and keep company with You.  But so that my work may be better, Lord, work with me; receive my work and possess all my affections. (The Practice of the Presence of God by Brother Lawrence)
                                  
Scripture Reading for the Day: Matthew 25:1-13

Reading for Reflection:
 
     Reading these words today, I can’t help but hear God’s voice asking me: “How is your oil level these days?  What is it within you that offers fuel to the flame of My Spirit?  Is there a yearning inside that causes you to burn with holy longing (zeal) for a deep and rich life with me?  It is a life that comes up from your very depths and shines through your eyes and your face and your very being, like a beacon in this dark and desperate world.  It is like Moses when he came down from the mountaintop, aglow with the reflection of my glory and delight.   What is it that burns within you these days?  Does it burn in such a beautiful way that those in this world are automatically drawn to its light, as a moth to a flame?  And how are you nurturing this life of the Spirit within you?  How are you keeping that oil level full?  Do you have enough of it in your heart and soul to shine on indefinitely?  Are you overflowing with My Spirit and My presence and My Love?  How will you keep watch?  How will you pay attention?  How will you make sure that you have enough oil?  Are you nurturing and caring for this life of My Spirit within you?  Take extra special care, my beloved child, to do just that; for then you will live every second of your life in readiness—readiness for my coming.”

Reflection and Listening: silent and written

Prayer: for the church, for others, for myself
    
                      
Closing Prayer: Keep us alert, we pray, O Lord our God, as we await the advent of Christ your Son, so that when he comes and knocks he may find us watchful in prayer and exultant in his praise.  Who lives and reigns with you in the unity of the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever.  Amen. (A Collect for Advent on Creighton University Online Ministries)

No comments:

Post a Comment