Featured Post

the blue book is now available on amazon

Exciting news!   The Blue Book is now available on Amazon! And not only that, but it also has a bunch of new content!  I've been work...

Friday, October 12, 2012

intimacy, day 5

Come to Stillness:
Take a few minutes to allow your mind and heart to be still before God.

Opening Prayer:
O God, who existed before all things, draw near to my heart today as I draw near to yours. Grant that as we are together during this time—as well as this day—I will know of your presence to the very core of my being. Let me experience the intimacy with you that I was created for. In the name of Jesus, the Word made flesh. Amen. (JLB)

Psalm for the Week: Psalm 131

Scripture for the Day: Song of Songs 4:8-16


Reading for Reflection:

     giggle   by Jim Branch


i can’t stifle the giggle
when your mouth draws close to my ear
whispers of affection
light up my heart
and then my face
they make me beam
others see and think it odd
but they don’t hear
they don’t feel your breath upon them
if they did, they’d giggle too
 
Intimacy is, in both love and faith, full of tensions.  When fulfillment is delayed, desire is bitter.  Between falling in love and consummating love, between the promise and the fulfillment, between the boundaries, that is, that are defined by covenant, it is the task of persevering and patient prayer to keep love ardent and faith zealous.
     Which is why prayer is the chief pastoral work in relation to a person’s desires for and difficulties with intimacy.  Anything less or other than prayer fails to deal with either the ultimacy of the desires or the complexity of the difficulties.  Prayer with and for persons centers the desire in God and puts the difficulties in perspective under God.  Prayer is thus the language, par excellence, of the covenant: it is quintessential pastoral conversation that takes seriously the relationships that matter most, both human and divine.  In prayer the desires are not talked about, they are expressed to God.  In prayer the difficulties are not analyzed and studied, they are worked through with God.  If the goal is intimacy, it will not be arrived at by teaching or counsel or therapy (although any of these ministries may provide assistance) but by dealing personally with those who count, with Creator and creature. (Five Smooth Stones for Pastoral Work by Eugene H. Peterson)

Reflection and Listening: silent and written

Prayer: for the church, for others, for myself

Song for the Week: Draw Me Close to You

Draw me close to You never let me go
I lay it all down again
To hear You say that I'm Your friend
You are my desire no one else will do
'Cause nothing else could take Your place
To feel the warmth of Your embrace
Help me find the way bring me back to You


You're all I want
You're all I've ever needed
You're all I want
Help me know You are near



Closing Prayer
Lord you are my Lover, it is you whom I desire. You flow through my body like a stream, you shine on my face like the sun. Let me be your reflection.
                                                                                           ~St. Mechthildis

No comments:

Post a Comment