Featured Post

the blue book is now available on amazon

Exciting news!   The Blue Book is now available on Amazon! And not only that, but it also has a bunch of new content!  I've been work...

Monday, January 16, 2017

vigilant

Opening Prayer: Lord, awaken me, you whose love burns beyond the stars; light the flame of my lantern that I may always burn with love. (A Traveler Toward the Dawn by John Eagan)

Scripture: Matthew 26:38-41

Journal: What are you most vigilant about these days?  How might Jesus want you to be more vigilant in your life with him?  What does that look like?

Reflection: There’s no way to escape or avoid the fact that life with Jesus requires vigilance.  It is one of the key practices in all of the spiritual life.  Keeping vigil is about staying awake.  It is about being keenly watchful and alert.  It is about wakefulness maintained throughout the darkness of night, when we are tempted to drift off into sleepy inattention and to become lax and lazy in our prayer and our practice.
     Vigilance requires something of us.  It demands an active waiting, an intentional diligence, a determination to stay awake regardless of the cost.  For as high as the cost of vigilance may be, the cost of falling asleep is much greater.  Will we keep vigil with Jesus today?

Prayer

Closing Prayer: Most Holy God, wake me up from my soul’s deep slumber and bring my life under your complete control.  By your grace, awaken me to the reality of your presence within and around me.  And, by the power of your Spirit, make me responsive to your will and your direction.  Help me to be vigilant in my life with you this day.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment