Featured Post

the blue book is now available on amazon

Exciting news!   The Blue Book is now available on Amazon! And not only that, but it also has a bunch of new content!  I've been work...

Tuesday, September 6, 2016

one thing

Opening Prayer: Lord Jesus, give me ears to hear, and a heart to receive, whatever you might have to say to me today.  Amen.

Scripture: Luke 10:38-42

Journal: Where are you distracted, worried, or upset these days?  Where are the many things overwhelming you?  What is Jesus saying to you about those things today?  What does it look like for you to choose the one thing?

Reflection: If indeed only one thing is needed (NIV), necessary (ESV), or essential (MSG), why do I have a tendency to do everything but that?  Why do I pray so little?  And the fact of the matter is that what Jesus is talking about here is even a different dynamic of prayer.  He is not talking about intercession, which is how 90% of the world tends to define prayer to begin with, he is talking about listening.  He is talking about sitting at his feet and listening to what he says.  Why do I not do that more often?  Even when I do pray I tend to spend the entire time talking and very little time listening.  Try that in any other relationship and see how far it gets you.
     Jesus wants me to listen to him.  That’s the one thing!  He wants me to cultivate a posture of listening, a life of listening, and a heart of listening.  That is, no doubt, why he so often said, “He who has ears, let him hear.”  But, unfortunately, I tend to be more like Martha, so easily distracted by the many things that I miss the one thing.  So busy doing that I forget to be.  So busy talking that I forget to listen.  Maybe today I can begin to change that.

Prayer

Closing Prayer: Lord Jesus, stop my feet and make me stand still, calm my heart and let me focus on you, shut my mouth and open my ears, that I might listen to whatever you have to say to me today.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment