Featured Post

the blue book is now available on amazon

Exciting news!   The Blue Book is now available on Amazon! And not only that, but it also has a bunch of new content!  I've been work...

Sunday, September 18, 2016

great

Opening Prayer: Our Father, here I am, at your disposal, your child, to use me to continue your loving the world, by giving Jesus to me and through me, to each other and the world.  Let us pray for each other as we allow Jesus to love in us and through us with the love with which His Father loves him. —Seeking the Heart of God by Mother Teresa

Scripture: Matthew 20:20-28

Journal: How do you try to be great on a daily basis?  How do you typically put yourself first?  What would it look like to turn that around and seek to be a servant?

Reflection: Okay, I’ll admit it.  Deep within me lies the selfish, ugly desire to be great in the minds and eyes of those around me; to be famous and sought after and respected and admired.  So as much as I would like to show my disgust and disdain at Zebedee’s wife and his two sons, I cannot.  I cannot become indignant with them because I get it.  And not only do I get it, but I do it.  I do the exact same thing.  Oh it might be in much more subtle ways, but I still do it.
     But you, Lord Jesus, tell me that I am supposed to be different from the world around me.  In fact, all of us who call you Lord and Master are supposed to be different than that.  You tell us that becoming great in the way the world tells us to become great, is not the way of your kingdom.  It will not get us the seats to the right and left of you in glory.  Becoming great in your kingdom has to do with being a servant, in fact being the slave of all.  Becoming great in your kingdom does not involve us trying to be first, but intentionally putting ourselves last.  It has to do with giving our lives away, the same way you did.  So how will I do that today?

Prayer

Closing Prayer: Go forth now as God’s servant.  Remember God’s presence often and draw strength from the knowledge that the One who calls and sends also sustains.  Amen. —A Guide to Prayer, Rueben P. Job and Norman Shawchuck

No comments:

Post a Comment