Featured Post

the blue book is now available on amazon

Exciting news!   The Blue Book is now available on Amazon! And not only that, but it also has a bunch of new content!  I've been work...

Tuesday, January 20, 2015

grasping, tuesday

Tuesday, January 20

Come to Stillness: Take a few minutes to allow your mind and heart to be still before God.
          
Opening Prayer: Lord God, give me open hands and not clenched fists as I walk with you and for you in the midst of this day— that I might be able to live with a true sense of freedom from the need to grasp desperately for love and value from those I come into contact with.  For Jesus’ sake.  Amen.
 
Scripture Reading for the Day: Matthew 6:19-34

Reading for Reflection:
 
     Greed is often associated with a ravenous appetite that devours anything within reach—a noisy, uncouth vice.  Yet it is more often known in the quietly insistent urge that nudges us from wanting to “needing,” then to grasping what we now “need” so others cannot deprive us of it.  Jesus addressed this grasping, clinging mind when he counseled that we cannot serve God and mammon, and Aramaic word denoting ill-gotten gain (Matthew 6:24).
     “In your minds you must be the same as Jesus Christ: His state was divine, yet he did not cling to his equality with God…” (Phil.2:6, JB).  The spiritual life is one in which we grow out of the grasping, clinging mind into the mind of Christ.  The Christ-mind releases us from our compulsion to associate personal worth with what we have accumulated, taming what nineteenth-century professor Adolphe Gratry calls “the exuberant desire to rise by a borrowed power.” (Editor’s Introduction by John S. Mogabgab, Weavings, November/ December 2005)

Reflection and Listening: silent and written

Prayer: for the church, for others, for myself
    
                      
Closing Prayer: O Christ my Lord, who for my sake and my brethren’s didst forgo all earthly comfort and fullness, forbid it that I should ever again live unto myself.  Amen. A Diary of Private Prayer by John Baillie)

No comments:

Post a Comment