Featured Post

the blue book is now available on amazon

Exciting news!   The Blue Book is now available on Amazon! And not only that, but it also has a bunch of new content!  I've been work...

Thursday, November 6, 2014

faith, thursday

Thursday, November 6

Come to Stillness: Take a few minutes to allow your mind and heart to be still before God.
          
Opening Prayer: O Lord, help me to really believe.  Help me to really believe that your heart for me is good.  Help me to really believe that nothing can separate me from your love.  Help me to really believe that you will do what you say you will do.  Help me to take you at your word.  In the name of Jesus.  Amen.
          
Scripture Reading for the Day: Matthew 14:22-33

Reading for Reflection:
 
     Christians are used to talking about faith as if it were a possession.  We speak of ”having faith,” or sometimes, “keeping faith,” and the last thing we want to do is “lose our faith.”  Thus, by holding on to faith we assume that we have another tool with which to pursue our goals in life.  The Bible, however, rarely speaks of faith as if it were something we own.  It is more typical of the Bible to describe faith as something that owns us.
     Actually, faith is quite similar to another virtue called love.  We usually don’t say a person has love for somebody else; rather, we say that someone is in love.  The difference is more than semantics.  By claiming that we are in love we admit that we have been overwhelmed by a great commitment to another person.  Sometimes it hits us at first sight, and at other times it develops slowly, but at no time could we claim to be in perfect control of the love.  More honestly, we know that love has the power to control us.
     Similarly, faith in God is a wonderful commitment.  It may come slowly or in a moment, but once it truly gets hold of us it changes just about everything.  (Extravagant Mercy by M. Craig Barnes)

 
Reflection and Listening: silent and written

Prayer: for the church, for others, for myself
                                  
Closing Prayer: In you, Lord my God, I put my trust.  I trust in you; do not let me be put to shame, nor let my enemies triumph over me.  No one who hopes in you will ever be put to shame, but shame will come on those who are treacherous without cause.  Show me your ways, Lord, teach me your paths.  Guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long.  Remember, Lord, your great mercy and love, for they are from of old.  Do not remember the sins of my youth and my rebellious ways; according to your love remember me, for you, Lord, are good. (Psalm 25:1-7)

No comments:

Post a Comment