Featured Post

the blue book is now available on amazon

Exciting news!   The Blue Book is now available on Amazon! And not only that, but it also has a bunch of new content!  I've been work...

Monday, October 27, 2014

suffering, monday

Monday, October 27

Come to Stillness: Take a few minutes to allow your mind and heart to be still before God.
          
Opening Prayer: Father, I know my wounded and broken places oh so well.  At times they can consume me and keep me from being able to hear your voice.  Help me to see my pain as an invitation to know you more intimately rather than a reason to doubt the goodness of your heart.  Help me to know that through my pain you desire to accomplish something very good in me.  In the name of Jesus.  Amen.

Scripture Reading for the Day: 1 Peter 4:12-19

Reading for Reflection:
 
But there can finally be no outlet, no anesthesia, no self-inflicted way of ending the pain.  The beams of love must be borne.  No human love affair can substitute for the divine one; no drug or food will really fill the emptiness; no overwork or preoccupation can finally overshadow the yearning; no ascetical extremes can stop the pain.  There is no way out—only through.  As the poetry of the John of the Cross so vividly attests, the wound of love must remain open until God heals it.  It is God’s way of drawing every hidden “no,” “maybe,” or “yes but,” into one completely joyous, unreserved “Yes!”  It is love’s way of becoming everything. (The Awakened Heart by Gerald G. May)

Reflection and Listening: silent and written

Prayer: for the church, for others, for myself
                                  
Closing Prayer: Behold me, my beloved Jesus, weighed down under the burden of trials and sufferings.  I cast myself at your feet that you may renew my strength and my courage while I rest here in your presence.  For your glory.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment