Featured Post

the blue book is now available on amazon

Exciting news!   The Blue Book is now available on Amazon! And not only that, but it also has a bunch of new content!  I've been work...

Tuesday, July 8, 2014

given, tuesday

Tuesday, July 8

Come to Stillness: Take a few minutes to allow your mind and heart to be still before God.

Opening Prayer: Our Father, here I am, at your disposal, your child, to use me to continue your loving the world, by giving Jesus to me and through me, to each other and the world.  Let us pray for each other as we allow Jesus to love in us and through us with the love with which His Father loves him. (Seeking the Heart of God by Mother Teresa)

Scripture Reading for the Day: Luke 14:25-35

Reading for Reflection:
 
More and more, the desire grows in me simply to walk around, greet people, enter their homes, sit on their doorsteps, play ball, and be known as someone who wants to live with them.  It is a privilege to have the time and the freedom to practice this simple ministry of presence.  Still, it is not as simple as it seems.  My own desire to be useful, to do something significant, or be a part of some impressive project is so strong that soon my time is taken up by meetings, conferences, study groups, and workshops that prevent me from walking the streets.  It is difficult not to have plans, not to organize people around the urgent cause, and not to feel that you are working directly for social or spiritual progress.  But I wonder more and more if the first thing shouldn't be to know people by name, to eat and drink with them, to listen to their stories and tell your own, and to let them know with words, handshakes, and hugs that you do not simply like them, but truly love them.  (Gracias! by Henri J.M. Nouwen)

Reflection and Listening: silent and written

Prayer: for the church, for others, for myself
             
Closing Prayer: Mighty Lord of heaven and earth, whose Son is the head of the church, shape and renew your people until we bear the image of Christ and show his true likeness to the world.  We ask this through our Lord Jesus Christ your Son.  Amen. (The Little Book of Hours)

No comments:

Post a Comment