Featured Post

the blue book is now available on amazon

Exciting news!   The Blue Book is now available on Amazon! And not only that, but it also has a bunch of new content!  I've been work...

Saturday, May 28, 2022

the way of letting go

Opening Prayer: O Lord, help me to never think too much of myself, or to try and get others to think too much of me.  Help me to never see myself as indispensable to what you are doing in this world, for when I start seeing myself that way it only shows that it has become more about me than about you.  Wean me from need, O Lord, and free me to love.  Help me to put my hope fully in you, and not in myself.  Amen. 

Scripture: Psalm 131:1-3

Journal: What do you need to let go of these days?  What is standing in the way of you having a stilled and quieted soul?  Will you let go of it?

Reflection: “O Lord, my heart is not lifted up; my eyes are not raised too high.  I do not occupy myself with things too great and too marvelous for me.  But I have stilled and quieted my soul, like a weaned child with its mother; like a weaned child is my soul within me.  O Israel, hope in the Lord from this time forth and forevermore.” (Psalm 131:1-3)

When we are finally willing and able to let go of our own self-importance, our sense of indispensability, and or need to be needed, only then will we have the courage and the strength to put our plans and agendas aside and give God the space and the time to do whatever he wants to do.  Life becomes about him and not about us. 

Only when we are weaned from need will we be truly able to love, trusting fully in God’s unfailing love and power and care.  Only when we are finally able to be stilled and quieted, “like a weaned child with its mother,” is our hope really in the Lord and not in ourselves.  Thus, a stilled and quieted soul is the fruit of truly open hands.

Pray

Closing Prayer: O Lord, help me to open my hands completely to you.  Help me to let go of anything and everything that keeps me from being fully and completely yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment