Featured Post

the blue book is now available on amazon

Exciting news!   The Blue Book is now available on Amazon! And not only that, but it also has a bunch of new content!  I've been work...

Friday, May 15, 2020

pure heart, clear eyes, can't lose

Opening Prayer: Give me a pure heart, O God, for I have no hope of being able to see you until my heart and my eyes are clear and clean.  I cannot do that myself.  Lord, have mercy.  Amen.

Scripture: Matthew 5:8

Journal: How are your eyes and your heart connected?  How does that affect the way you see God?  How does it affect the way you see yourself?  How do you pursue purity of heart?

Reflection: Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God.” (Matthew 5:8)  It is amazing how connected the eyes and the heart are.  Jesus knew it.  Why else would he make a statement like this?  
     If our hearts are pure, it means our eyes are clear.  It means we are able to see things accurately.  But if our hearts are impure, if our motives are self-centered or our desires are self-serving, then our eyes are cloudy.  We are not able to see God clearly, because your own stuff is in the way.  We need to have our lenses cleansed—which is literally what the word pure means in the Greek.  But we can’t just clean our lenses, we must start on the inside—with our hearts.
     “Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me,” say the words of the ancient prayer. (Psalm 51:10, ESV)  David knew where true and lasting change takes place.  He knew that we must start with the heart, if we were to ever have any hope of having clear eyes.  And that is a work of the Spirit of God.
     So let us join David in praying this prayer.  Let us pray it early and often.  Let us beg and plead for God’s mercy and grace to fall upon us and empower us.  Let us allow him to enter in and clean our dirty hearts, that we might, one day, be able to see God.  Because, to change the words of a popular phrase a little, the truth is that “Pure hearts, clean eyes, can’t lose.”

Prayer

Closing Prayer: Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me.  For only then will I be able to see you clearly.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment