Featured Post

the blue book is now available on amazon

Exciting news!   The Blue Book is now available on Amazon! And not only that, but it also has a bunch of new content!  I've been work...

Monday, June 10, 2019

if/then

Opening Prayer: Lord Jesus, help us to see that a gift is only a gift if it is received. Only then will we be able to enjoy its benefits.  Help us to receive the gift of life from you this day, and to do everything in our power to fully embrace it and to pass it along to those in our life and world today.  Amen. 

Scripture: John 8:31-32

Journal: Are you making space for the word of God to abide in you?  How is this practice leading you to freedom?

Reflection: If you abide in my word, you are truly my disciples, and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free. (John 8:31-32)  We tend not to like if/then statements, they seem way too conditional.  Unfortunately, the scriptures are full of them: If you abide in my word, then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.  If you delight in my law and meditate on it day and night, then you will be like a tree planted by streams of water (Psalm 1:2-3).  If you lie down in green pastures and if you allow yourself to be led beside quiet waters, then I will restore your soul (Psalm 23:2-3).  If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land (2Chron. 7:14).  You will seek me and find me, if you seek me with all your heart.  Then I will be found by you (Jeremiah 29:13-14).  If anyone loves me, then he will obey my commands, and my father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him (John 14:21).  You just can’t get away from them.  
     The problem is that we want the then without the if.  We want the latter without the former.  We want the freedom without the abiding.  We want the healing without the humility.  We want the love without the obedience.  We want to be a tree planted by streams without having to invest the time and energy and effort necessary to delight in his word and meditate on it day and night.  In other words, we want something for nothing.  We want the benefits of life with God, without having to do any of the work necessary to nurture that life.  And, unfortunately, that will not get us very far.  
     If we truly want freedom, then abiding in his word is the only way to get it.  And it seems like a pretty small price to pay.  In fact, it is not a price at all, but a joy and a delight, once we finally get around to doing it.  It connects us with God in a way that actually brings us to life inside.  Because the truth exposes all of the lies that have held us in bondage for so long, and gives us power over them.  And once we see and believe the truth, we begin to walk in freedom.  But we can’t have one without the other.

Prayer

Closing Prayer: Lord Jesus, help us to make time and space for your word to abide in us today, for only then will we be able to experience the freedom and the life you desire for us.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment