Featured Post

the blue book is now available on amazon

Exciting news!   The Blue Book is now available on Amazon! And not only that, but it also has a bunch of new content!  I've been work...

Friday, December 14, 2018

weakness

Opening Prayer: Lord Jesus, when I think I am strong, I am only fooling myself and hindering your work.  Help me to know the truth, that only by your power and might can anything good come into being.  Help my weaknesses, this day, be an avenue for your power to enter this dark and broken world.  In your name I pray.  Amen.

Scripture: 2 Corinthians 12:7-10

Journal: What does it look like for you to embrace your weaknesses in order that Christ’ power might be revealed in and through you?  How will you do that today?

Reflection: "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more in my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. (2 Cor. 12:9)
     So Jesus tells us that the best way to experience his power is through our weaknesses rather than our strengths. Hmmm.  Power through weakness. How counterintuitive is that?
     It seems like I spend most of my days doing the exact opposite.  I typically try to cover, or compensate for, or hide my weaknesses, so no one ever sees them.  But apparently, when I do this, I am limiting God's power to work in and through me in some mysterious way.  Because Jesus tells me that the way to power lies in weakness not in strength.
     I don't know about you, but I expend a lot of effort and energy every day wrestling with my weaknesses, when it sounds like the way to life and power comes through embracing them.  Somehow embracing my weaknesses makes good space for God to work and to act.  And putting it all on God's shoulders rather than my own sounds so much easier, doesn't it?
     I have experienced the beauty of this a time or two in my fifty-eight years.  There have been times when I finally got so tired and worn out from trying to do it on my own that I collapsed in a heap and allowed Jesus to come in and take over.  I wish it didn't have to come to that.  And maybe as I grow older and wiser it won't have to.  Who knows?  A man can dream, right?

Prayer

Closing Prayer: Lord Jesus, help me to embrace my weaknesses, that you might show yourself strong.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment