Featured Post

the blue book is now available on amazon

Exciting news!   The Blue Book is now available on Amazon! And not only that, but it also has a bunch of new content!  I've been work...

Monday, December 17, 2018

open hands

Opening Prayer: Lord Jesus, help me to always see that only open hands are empty enough to receive what you long to give.  Help me to empty myself and to let go of the things my fists are tightly clenched around.  Then help me to wait patiently on you to give me your good and perfect gifts.  Amen.

Scripture: Mark 10:12-22

Journal: Where in your life are you living with clenched fists?  And what would it look like to let go of those things and open your hands?  Will you?

Reflection:

open hands

clenched fists 
or open hands
which will it be

will i continually
try to control
and force
and dictate

or simply let go 
and open 
my hands

will i finally 
agree to release 
my desperate grip
on that which
was not mine 
to control
in the first place
and open my hands

for only open hands
are able to receive
and all of life is a gift
to be received
not a possession
to be defended

Prayer

Closing Prayer: Dear God, I am so afraid to open my clenched fists! Who will I be when I have nothing left to hold on to? Who will I be when I stand before you with empty hands? Please help me to gradually open my hands and to discover that I am not what I own, but what you want to give me. And what you want to give me is love—unconditional, everlasting love. Amen. (With Open Hands by Henri Nouwen)

No comments:

Post a Comment