Featured Post

the blue book is now available on amazon

Exciting news!   The Blue Book is now available on Amazon! And not only that, but it also has a bunch of new content!  I've been work...

Monday, July 23, 2018

still and silent

Opening Prayer: O Lord, let me never be presumptuous.  Let me never begin my prayers with words rather than silence.  Let me be still and silent before you, before I dare utter a word in your presence.  Let me listen, in order that I might speak.  Amen.

Scripture: Psalm 46:10

Journal: Where does listening and being still fit into your prayer life?  Where should it fit into your prayer life?

Reflection: Presumptuous prayer speaks to God without first listening to him.  It obsessively, anxiously, or pretentiously multiplies human words to God, but with, at best, a distracted, indifferent, or fitful interest in God’s words to us.  But God speaks to us before we speak to him.  If we pray without listening, we pray out of context. (Answering God by Eugene Peterson)

Prayer

Closing Prayer: Lord, I know not what I ought to ask of Thee; Thou only knowest what I need; Thou lovest me better than I know how to love myself. O Father! Give to Thy child that which he himself knows not how to ask. I dare not ask either for crosses or consolations; I simply present myself before Thee, I open my heart to Thee. Behold my needs which I know not myself; see and do according to Thy tender mercy. Smite, or heal; depress me, or raise me up; I adore all Thy purposes without knowing them; I am silent; I offer myself in sacrifice; I yield myself to Thee; I would have no other desire than to accomplish Thy will. Teach me to pray. Pray Thyself in me. ~Francois Fenelon

No comments:

Post a Comment