Featured Post

the blue book is now available on amazon

Exciting news!   The Blue Book is now available on Amazon! And not only that, but it also has a bunch of new content!  I've been work...

Thursday, March 29, 2018

follow me

Opening Prayer: Dear Lord Jesus, I am still so divided.  I truly want to follow you, but I also want to follow my own desires and lend an ear to the voices that speak about prestige, success, popularity, pleasure, power, and influence.  Help me to become deaf to those voices and more attentive to your voice, which calls me to choose the narrow road to life.  I know this will be a very hard road for me.  The choice for your way has to be made every moment of my life.  I have to choose thoughts that are your thoughts, words that are your words, and actions that are your actions.  There are no times and places without choices.  And I know how deeply I resist choosing you.  Please, Lord, be with me at every moment and in every place.  Give me the strength and courage to live my life faithfully, so that I will be able to taste with joy the new life which you have prepared for me.  Amen. (The Road to Daybreak by Henri J.M. Nouwen)

Scripture: John 21:18-19

Journal: Where and how is God leading you to places that you would rather not go?  What does following Jesus look like for you these days?

Reflection:

     follow me

someone else will dress you
and lead you where
you do not want to go

jesus said this to indicate
the kind of death
by which peter would 
glorify god

then he said
follow me


the aged 
it seems
are our guides
providing an image
of what it looks like
to really follow you 
lord jesus

it is a life
of total dependence 
and complete surrender
a life where
i can do nothing
apart from you

i go nowhere
unless you push me
i wear nothing
unless you dress me
i eat nothing
unless you feed me
i am only clean
when you bathe me

this is the life
you want for me
this is what it looks like
to really follow you
give me the grace
and the courage
to do so

Prayer

Closing Prayer: Lord Jesus, give me the courage and the faith to truly follow you, wherever it may lead, whatever it might cost.  Let me give myself fully to your care and your control.  For your glory.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment