Featured Post

the blue book is now available on amazon

Exciting news!   The Blue Book is now available on Amazon! And not only that, but it also has a bunch of new content!  I've been work...

Thursday, January 11, 2018

seek his face

Opening Prayer: Almighty God, send the light of thy Son into our lives anew today.  Let your presence touch our minds and hearts with your mercy, grace, and truth.  Direct our thought, speech, and steps to the end that we may walk in your way today and always.  In the name of Christ.  Amen. (A Guide to Prayer for Ministers and Other Servants by Rueben P. Job and Norman Shawchuck)

Scripture: Psalm 27:7-14

Journal: What does God’s face look like to you?  What is the look in his eyes for you?

Reflection: Several years ago I was leading a retreat for some college folks who were deeply involved in a ministry of which I was a part.  The design and intent of the retreat was to create some space and some solitude in order for these dear folks to hear from God and to be renewed, refreshed, restored, or whatever they might need most from him at that point in their journey.  
     Not too far into our time together I could tell that one student in particular was really struggling.  And since we were in silence, instead of trying to interfere or intervene in whatever God was doing deep within her heart and soul, all I could really do was watch and pray.  Near the end of our time together, as we broke the silence with communion and some reflection, she was able to tell the group exactly what the nature of the struggle had been. 
     Seeking his face had been the theme of our time of solitude; and it seems it had been something much more elusive than she had anticipated it would be.  Try as she might, she was simply having no success focusing her gaze on the face of God.  That was until late in the retreat when, in her frustration, she cried out to him in her helplessness and he showed up.  He simply said to me, ‘Look at my eyes.  See what great love and affection my eyes hold for you.’  And once I focused on his eyes, everything changed.”  Maybe we would be wise to do the same.

Prayer

Closing Prayer: Let me see your face, O God, that I might know the look of love with which you look at me, and give that same look to whoever you bring across my path each day.  In the name of Jesus I pray.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment