Featured Post

the blue book is now available on amazon

Exciting news!   The Blue Book is now available on Amazon! And not only that, but it also has a bunch of new content!  I've been work...

Saturday, October 22, 2016

true

Opening Prayer: Lord Jesus, you’re on to me.  You see through my game.  You see how my words say one thing and my inner life says another.  Make them one, Lord Jesus.  Make me true through and through.  Work your work deep within me, so that my life will be an accurate expression on the state of my heart and soul.  Amen.

Scripture: Matthew 23:13-28

Journal: What is your inner reality these days?  Where are your inconsistencies and contradictions?  How well does your inner reality match your outward message?  What woes do you need to heed today?

Reflection: The Scribes and Pharisees were an interesting bunch.  They paid a lot of attention to outward appearances, yet were filled with inconsistencies and contradictions within.  The word Jesus used for them was hypocrite.  The hypokritēs (Greek) were the actors on a stage, playing a role.  And the Scribes and Pharisees had made an art of it.  Jesus, however, saw right through their masks and facades.  He saw their core reality.  And what he saw was not a pretty sight, so he began to expose them for the frauds they were.  He began to peel away the layers in order to show them (and others) the true state of their hearts and souls.
     But lest we be too hard of the poor Scribes and Pharisees, we must also admit that oftentimes our inner reality does not line up with our outward message either.  And when that is the case, we are no better than they.  Jesus wants our lives and our message to be one.  He wants us to be true through and through.  He wants us to live lives of integrity, which means that we must start on the inside, allowing God to do his work in us.  We must make space and time to be seized by the power of his Great Affection, so that our hearts and souls are captured by his love in such a way that it works its way out into our lives.  For woe to us when our lives do not reflect the message our lips proclaim.

Prayer

Closing Prayer: Lord Jesus, if you have any woes for me today, by your grace and your mercy let me know what they are.  For I long to live a life that is true and whole and complete in you, not one that says one thing and does another.  Make me more like you.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment