Featured Post

the blue book is now available on amazon

Exciting news!   The Blue Book is now available on Amazon! And not only that, but it also has a bunch of new content!  I've been work...

Thursday, September 25, 2014

longing, thursday

Thursday, September 25

Come to Stillness: Take a few minutes to allow your mind and heart to be still before God.
         
Opening Prayer: O God, I have tasted Thy goodness, and it has both satisfied me and made me thirsty for more.  I am painfully conscious of my need for further grace.  I am ashamed of my lack of desire.  O God, the Triune God, I want to want Thee; I long to be filled with longing; I thirst to be made more thirsty still. (The Pursuit of God by A. W. Tozer)

Scripture Reading for the Day: Psalm 36:5-10

Reading for Reflection:
 
In all of our hearts lies a longing for a Sacred Romance.  It will not go away in spite of our efforts over the years to anesthetize or ignore its song, or attach it to a single person or endeavor.  It is a Romance couched in mystery and set deeply within us.  It cannot be categorized into prepositional truths or fully known any more than studying the anatomy of a corpse would help us know the person who once inhabited it.
     Philosophers call this Romance, this heart yearning set within us, the longing for transcendence; the desire to be part of something larger than ourselves, to be part of something out of the ordinary that is good.  Transcendence is what we experience in a small but powerful way when our city’s football team wins the big game against tremendous odds.  The deepest part of our heart longs to be bound together in some heroic purpose with others of like mind and spirit. (The Sacred Romance by Brent Curtis and John Eldredge)

Reflection and Listening: silent and written

Prayer: for the church, for others, for myself
                                  
Closing Prayer: O Thou who ordered this wondrous world, and who knowest all things in earth and heaven:  So fill our hearts with trust in thee that by night and day, at all times and in all seasons, we may without fear commit all that we have and hope to be to thy never-failing love, for this life and the life to come; through Jesus Christ our Lord.  Amen. (The Book of Worship)

No comments:

Post a Comment