Featured Post

the blue book is now available on amazon

Exciting news!   The Blue Book is now available on Amazon! And not only that, but it also has a bunch of new content!  I've been work...

Sunday, September 8, 2013

story, day 4

Come to Stillness: Take a few minutes to allow your mind and heart to be still before God.

Opening Prayer:
Dear Jesus,
     Speak to me during this day about the story you are telling, the story I was made for.  Open my eyes, Lord, to the ways that story is being lived out in the events and circumstances of this day.  Show me how all that happens to me this day echoes Your larger Story if only I will keep my heart focused on you.  In your name I pray.  Amen. (JLB)


Psalm for the Week: Psalm 107

Scripture for the Day: 2 Corinthians 3:1-4

Reading for Reflection:

"You're writing another book about yourself?"  Jordan asked.  He was sitting at the counter in the kitchen eating a bowl of cereal.  He had his laptop open and was choosing the starting lineup for his college fantasy basketball team.  He'd been playing the game for a year and finally had a division one team.  He said he was going to start his best defense, because defense wins championships.
     "I'm not writing a book.  I'm not talking about a book.  I'm talking about me.  I don't think I'm telling a good story."
     "I think you tell good stories.  Lots of people think so."

     "I tell good stories in books.  I don't live good stories."
     Jordan poured more milk in his cereal.  He was looking at me while pouring the milk.  He was squinting his eyes a little and furrowing his brow.  He stopped pouring the milk.  He kept looking at me for ten seconds or more, like he was studying me.
     "You're right," he finally said.  "You aren't living a good story."
     "That's what I was saying."
     "I see," he said.
     "What do I do about that?"
     "You're a writer.  You know what to do."
     "No, I don't."
     Jordan looked at me with his furrowed brow again.  "You put something on the page," he said.  "Your life is a blank page.  You write on it."
(A Million Miles in a Thousand Years by Donald Miller)


Reflection and Listening: silent and written

Prayer: for the church, for others, for myself

Song for the Week: Step By Step


O God, you are my God
And I will ever praise you
O God, you are my God
And I will ever praise you
I will seek you in the morning
And learn to walk in your ways
And step by step you’ll lead me
And I will follow you all of my days

And I will follow you all of my days,
Yes I will follow you all of my days
And step by step you’ll lead me
And I will follow you all of my days
 

Closing Prayer:
Father, write yourself upon my heart and life—that I may be an open book about you, so that others might read of your unending love on every page.  In the name of Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith.  Amen. (JLB)

No comments:

Post a Comment