Featured Post

the blue book is now available on amazon

Exciting news!   The Blue Book is now available on Amazon! And not only that, but it also has a bunch of new content!  I've been work...

Wednesday, July 10, 2013

the heart, day 4

Come to Stillness: Take a few minutes to allow your mind and heart to be still before God.

Opening Prayer:
O God, in all ages you have imparted yourself to man and set alight the fire of faith in his heart, grant to me the faith which comes from search.  Cleanse my life from all that negates and crushes faith, and fill it with the purity and honesty that foster it.  Cleanse me from the evil which makes unbelief its friend, and drive it far from me, so that, being willing in all things to do your will, I may know the truth which shall set me free.  Through Jesus Christ, our Lord.  Amen. (Daily Prayer Companion  by Samuel M. Shoemaker)

Psalm for the Week: Psalm 73

Scripture for the Day: Mark 12:28-34

Reading for Reflection:

Indeed, if we will listen, a Sacred Romance calls to us through our heart every moment of our lives.  It whispers to us on the wind, invites us through the laughter of good friends, reaches out to us through the touch of someone we love.  We've heard it in our favorite music, sensed it at the birth of our first child, been drawn to it while watching the shimmer of a sunset on the ocean.  The Romance is even present in times of great personal suffering:  the illness of a child, the loss of a marriage, the death of a friend.  Something calls to us through experiences like these and rouses an inconsolable longing deep within our heart, wakening in us a yearning for intimacy, beauty, and adventure.
     This longing is the most powerful part of any human personality.  It fuels our search for meaning, for wholeness, for a sense of being truly alive.  However we may describe this deep desire, it is the most important thing about us, our heart of hearts, the passion of our life.  And the voice that calls to us in this place is none other than the voice of God. (The Sacred Romance by Brent Curtis and John Eldredge)

Reflection and Listening: silent and written

Prayer: for the church, for others, for myself

Song for the Week: Greater Than Our Hearts


Chorus: You who are greater than our hearts,
Come make your faithful mercies known,
The mind of Christ to us impart
Your constant mind in us be shown

O let us by your cross abide,
You, only you, resolved to know
The Lamb for sinners crucified,
A world to save from endless woe

Repeat Chorus


Take us into your people's rest,
And we from our own works shall cease
With your meek Spirit arm our breast,
And keep our minds in perfect peace


Repeat Chorus


Jesus, for this we calmly wait,
O let our eyes behold you near
Hurry to make our heaven complete,
Appear, our glorious God, appear


Repeat Chorus


Closing Prayer:
Dear Jesus, I ask you to come and lead me on this journey for my heart and for yours.  Be my Guide, and help me recover the lost life of my heart.  When I am confused, grant me clarity and insight.  When I am fearful and tempted to give up or check out, grant me courage to press on. When I am impatient or distracted, bring me back to what matters most.  When I am hurting, comfort me.  But in all, I pray you to restore me to fullness of the heart you set within me.  In your name I pray.  Amen. (The Sacred Romance Workbook by John Eldredge)

No comments:

Post a Comment