Featured Post

the blue book is now available on amazon

Exciting news!   The Blue Book is now available on Amazon! And not only that, but it also has a bunch of new content!  I've been work...

Saturday, July 27, 2013

God's voice, day 6

Come to Stillness: Take a few minutes to allow your mind and heart to be still before God.

Opening Prayer:
Lord, teach me to listen.  The times are noisy and my ears are weary with the thousand raucous sounds which continuously assault them.  Give me the spirit of the boy Samuel when he said to Thee, “Speak, for thy servant heareth.”  Let me hear Thee speaking in my heart.  Let me get used to the sound of Thy voice, that its tones may be familiar when the sounds of earth die away and the only sound will be the music of Thy speaking voice.  Amen.  (The Pursuit of God by A. W. Tozer)


Psalm for the Week: Psalm 29

Scripture for the Day: 1 Samuel 3:1-12

Reading for Reflection:

I believe that we know much more about God than we admit that we know, than perhaps we altogether know that we know.  God speaks to us, I would say, much more often than we realize or than we choose to realize.  Before the sun sets every evening, he speaks to each one of us in an intensely personal and unmistakable way.  His message is not written out in starlight, which in the long run would make no difference; rather it is written out for each of us in the humdrum, helter-skelter events of each day; it is a message that in the long run might just make all the difference.
     Who knows what he will say to me today or to you today or into the midst of what kind of unlikely moment he will choose to say it.  Not knowing is what makes today a holy mystery. (The Magnificent Defeat by Frederick Buechner)


Reflection and Listening: silent and written

Prayer: for the church, for others, for myself

Song for the Week: Blessed Be Your Name


Blessed be your name
In the land that is plentiful
Where the streams of abundance flow
Blessed be your name

Blessed be your name
When I'm found in the desert place
Though I walk through the wilderness

Blessed be your name

Every blessing you pour out, I turn back to praise
When the darkness closes in, Lord, still I will say...


Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be your name
Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be your glorious name


Blessed be your name
When the sun's shining down on me
When the world's all as it should be

Blessed be your name

Blessed be your name
On the road marked with suffering
Though there's pain in the offering


Blessed be your name
You give and take away, You give and take away
My heart will choose to say

Lord, Blessed be your name!


Closing Prayer:
Father, you have taught us that in returning and rest we shall be saved, in quietness and confidence we shall be strengthened:  By Your Spirit lift us to Your presence, where we may be still and know that You are God. (Living Prayer by Robert Benson)

No comments:

Post a Comment