Featured Post

the blue book is now available on amazon

Exciting news!   The Blue Book is now available on Amazon! And not only that, but it also has a bunch of new content!  I've been work...

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

the breath of God, day 3

Come to Stillness:
Take a few minutes to allow your mind and heart to be still before God.

Opening Prayer:
O Loving God, who breathed me into being, breathe your Divine Breath in me again this day—that I might be filled with your life and guided by the winds of your Spirit. For the sake of your Son. Amen. (JLB)

Psalm for the Week: Psalm 104

Scripture for the Day: Genesis 2:4-7

Reading for Reflection:
 
I feel the winds of God today; today my sail I lift,
Tho’ heavy oft with drenching spray,
and torn with many a rift…
It is the wind of God that dries my vain, regretful tears,
Until with braver thoughts shall rise the purer,
brighter years…
Great Pilot of the onward way, Thou wilt not let me drift;
I feel the winds of God today, today my sail I lift.
(A hymn by Jessie Adams, 1863)


The Spirit is like a gentle breeze, giving direction and breathing life into every event of our life and every word that we say.  Gentle breezes seem to change direction frequently; the Spirit does that with us.  We think we’ve got something going, a great inspiration has set us on what seems to be a lifelong way, when suddenly we discover the Spirit anew, and another fascinating encounter with the divine occurs. (Beginning Contemplative Prayer by Kathryn Hermes)

Reflection and Listening: silent and written
 
Prayer: for the church, for others, for myself
 
Song for the Week: Wind of God

Spirit, come, like a mighty wind;
Raise these bones back to life again.
Lift us up from this desert land;
Breathe upon us and we will stand.
Come and blow, Wind of God;
Blow, Wind of God

Lead us out of our wilderness;
Be our Savior, our hope, and rest.
All our idols have turned to dust;
You alone can deliver us.

Wind of God, come and blow;
Holy Spirit, let your power flow.
Stir our hearts, Breath of Life;
Speak your Word, and we will rise.
Come, revive, come, restore;
We can't live without you, Lord.
Come and blow, come and blow,
Wind of God
 
Closing Prayer:
Father, you alone know what lies before me this day, grant that in every hour of it I may stay close to you. Let me today embark on no undertaking that is not in line with your will for my life, nor shrink from any sacrifice which your will may demand. Suggest, direct, control every movement of my mind; for my Lord Christ’s sake. Amen. (A Diary of Private Prayer by John Baillie)

No comments:

Post a Comment