Featured Post

the blue book is now available on amazon

Exciting news!   The Blue Book is now available on Amazon! And not only that, but it also has a bunch of new content!  I've been work...

Monday, February 14, 2022

the beauty of the Lord

Opening Prayer: One thing I ask, O Lord, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in your house all the days of my life, to gaze upon your beauty and to seek you in your temple.

Scripture: Psalm 27:4

Journal: What are you gazing at these days?  What is that producing in you?  How is that being embodied through you?

Reflection: “One thing I ask of the Lord, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the Lord and to seek him in his temple.” (Psalm 27:4)

A very wise saint once said, “We become what we behold.”  Whatever it is that captures our attention and our imaginations, whatever it is that fills our eyes and consumes our thoughts, that is what we will become like.

Maybe King David knew this.  Maybe it’s the whole reason he prayed that his life would be consumed with one thing—gazing at the beauty of the Lord.  He knew that if he was captured by God’s beauty, then he would eventually embody that beauty in this lost and broken world.  He would become an agent of God’s healing and wholeness and peace.  He would be the embodiment of true shalom.

Which begs the question, what am I beholding (gazing upon) these days?  For whatever I am beholding, ultimately, I will become.   

Prayer

Closing Prayer: O Lord, help me to see your beauty, so that I can be your beauty in this lost and broken world.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment